Recent photo submissions from Umesh Gogna
About Umesh Gogna
Umesh Gogna come from a family of jewelers. After completing his post-graduation, he started helping his father in their family business while also working on his Ph.D. thesis on ancient Indian jewelry. For his Ph.D., he needed good some quality photographs of jewelry. Good images were difficult to find in those days and he could not afford to hire a professional photographer. That’s when he decided to buy a camera and try photographing the jewelry himself.
During the process, he discovered his love for photography and started spending more time with his camera. He upgraded his camera kit, brought studio lights and even set up a small studio in his house and started photographing full time.
Most of his professional work is in the field of handicraft and jewelry, stone and the hospitality industry. Apart from his professional work he also does travels and nature photography. He has spent a lot of time documenting the cultural architectural and natural heritage of Rajasthan and the Himalayas and his work has been published in several books on these subjects.
After spending many years as a professional photographer, he felt the need to give back something to his profession, therefore he started educating aspiring photographers about the science and art of photography by personally mentoring them. He has conducted more than 150 workshops on portraiture, jewelry, fashion and digital photography.
He is an early adapter of technology and was one of the first to shift to digital cameras. Some of the cameras that he loves shooting with are the Sony A7RM2 which gives great performance with unmatchable image quality in a small, well designed, package and is perfect for low light conditions. He also uses Sony A7S for time lapse and night astro photography.
- Founder Member and Mentor / Jury at Camarena Academy (FB)
- Honored with the Life Time Achievement Award by Jaipur Photographer's Club
- Honored with the Life Time Achievement Award for contributing to education in photography by Jodhana Photo Journalist Society
- Honoured by Governor of Rajasthan (Margaret Alva) for contributing to education in photography
- Part of Jury for a number of photographer's club, colleges and schools.
- Conducted over 200 workshops PAN India
- Guest Faculty in Allahabad University (2008 to 2017), Central University of Bihar, BITS Pilani Photography Club and more